If You need Foot or Ankle Surgery
What questions should I ask if Dr. Gallina recommends surgery? — FAQs
- Questions about the surgical procedure?
- After the surgery, what do I need to know?
- Will my activities be limited?
Questions about the surgical procedure?
- What is this procedure being recommended?
- Are there alternatives?
- What are the benefits of this procedure in terms of pain relief, functioning/mobility?
- How long will the benefit last?
- What are the risks involved?
- Are there any written materials or videotapes about this surgery that I can review?
- What is the success rate for this procedure?
- What is the procedure called?
- How is it done?
- Will the surgery need to be repeated after a certain amount of time?
- How many of these procedures are annually performed at this hospital?
- What percentage of patients improve following the procedure?
- What will happen if I don’t have the surgery now?
- If I want a second opinion, whom can I consult?
- Will you perform the operation or someone else?
- If someone else, when can I meet him or her?
- How many similar procedures have been done by you or the recommended doctor?
- What are the outcomes and will I need any test or medical evaluations prior to the surgery?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used?
- Will I meet with the anesthesiologist in advance?
- Will he or she know my needs/allergies?
- Will I have pain following the procedure?
- What pain relief or pain control measures will I be given?
After the surgery, what do I need to know?
- How long will the recovery take?
- What are my limitations during recovery?
- Will I need assistance at home afterwards? For how long?
- What will discharge instructions be?
- Will I have any disability following surgery?
- Will I need physical therapy?
Will my activities be limited?
- When can I return to work?
- When can I drive my car?
- When can I have sexual activity?